1 cup red lentils
1 yellow onion
1 tbsp. white flour
1 tbsp. tomato or pepper paste
¼ tbsp. black pepper powder
½ tbsp. paprika
2 tbsp. Olive oil
Ingredients for sauce
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 tbsp. flakes red peppers
Chop the onion, diced the carrot, wash red lentils 2 times and drain
Sauté chopped onions with olive oil until they become light brown. Add white flour and continue sautéing on low heat. Then add tomato paste and stir.
Now you can add chopped carrots and washed red lentils and stir the mix 3-4 times. Add 1lt of water and leave it to boil. After the soup is cooked, blend with a hand blender until smooth. Add pepper and salt to taste.
Meanwhile, in a small pan, melt 2 tbsp. unsalted butter and then add paprika until it bubbles.
Serve with a sauce on the lentil soup.
Ingredients for the meat sauce:
●2 tbsp olive oil
●500g ground beef
●1 onion, chopped
●1 garlic clove
●1 tbsp tomato paste
●250 crushed tomatoes
●1 cinnamon stick
●3 allspice seeds
Ingredients for the moussaka:
●1-2 aubergines (depending on their size)
●3 medium potatoes
●30 g breadcrumbs
●600 g Greek yogurt
●100g DODONI kefalotyri
Wash the potatoes and aubergines. Peel the potatoes and cut the vegetables into thick slices.
1) Arrange the aubergines and potatoes on a baking tray, layered with parchment paper. Brush them with olive oil and season them with salt. Bake them in a preheated oven, at 200οC, for 12-15 minutes until they soften.
2) Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan. Saute the ground beef until browned, for 5-6 minutes and season with salt and pepper.
3) Add the onion and keep sauteing for another 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic, cinnamon, and allspice and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomato paste in the pan, let it saute while slightly scratching the bottom of the pan.
4) Add the crushed tomatoes, sugar, stir for a bit and lower the heat. Let it simmer for 15-20 minutes, stir here and there and when the most liquid has evaporated, remove from fire and put aside.
5) Grease a baking pan or a casserole dish and optionally, sprinkle some breadcrumbs. Layer the potatoes and top them with a layer of aubergines. Layer the meat sauce over the aubergines.
6) In a bowl mix the yogurt, eggs, salt, freshly ground pepper, and a little ground nutmeg and spread the mixture over the meat layer.
7) Sprinkle with the kefalotyri and breadcrumbs and bake the moussaka in a preheated oven, at 180οC for 40-45 minutes.
8) Let the moussaka cool for at least 20 minutes prior to serving.
By Madame Ginger
0.5kg fusilli pasta
300g DODONI feta
300g sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
8-10 Kalamata olives
2 tbs capers
1 clove of garlic
50 gr. pine nuts
Boil water in a large pot.
Pit and chop olive oils. Drain the capers with water to remove the extra salt.
Cook the pasta according to the package directions and drain. Drizzle with olive oil and transfer in a large bowl. Meanwhile, place the sun-dried tomatoes, 2 tablespoons from their oil, the capers, the garlic, salt, the pine nuts and pepper in a food processor or a mortar. Using a pestle, crush against bottom and sides of mortar until coarse paste forms.
Transfer pesto in the bowl and stir in feta cheese and olives.
by Madame Ginger